About Me

My photo
I write the weirdest things and I think my blog is Themeless..all sorts of junk put into one.. being random is common these days..So i guess Im common..I climb trees when i was young just to have fun with friends.. now that we have gotten older.. we bbq.. My sisters are my source of inspiration.. my friends are importand to me..Im not religious I just love Jesus.. Im the happiest when I can make a person smile.. I want to travel all around the world one day.. especially Japan.. pls help me get there.. Amen!

drey say..anythingla


Friday, February 27, 2009

I am Born A Native

I am Born A Native.. I am born an Iban.. wow.. cool tag line ey?? I can see it now, the longhouse, the waterfall in the background.. and a young lady in an Iban traditional costume.. smiling, with her right hand resting on her left shoulder.. then.. *cue music-cuti-cuti malaysia*.. Tada!.. another Visit Malaysia ad.. Typical..

I suddenly have the urge to blog about being an Iban.. this is because I was fortunate enough to have visited a longhouse recently.. I was asked to help a team of Bible schoolers on their mission trip as a translator.. at first I thought.. 'yeah, sure thing.. piece of cake".. then slowly a sense of realism got to me.. that means I have to PREACH IN IBAN TOOO!!..I can speak in Iban but preaching is a whole new level (this reminded me of the days i was in ICCTS and had to preach in BM on a sunday service..haih.. why me).. sure Pastor Ned was there and I have the Iban Bible with me.. but as an Iban the people in the longhouse was looking to me as the bridge.. (ps. Ned was speaking in English)I was worried that I was not able to make them understand.. ok, I'll admit my Iban is not the best.. lets just say at home my family and I convers in both Iban and english... so sometimes I get stuck.. haha.. but I gave my all and by God's grace they all understood.. The ten commandments.. or should i say Sepuluh Pesan..

The people who were there are mostly the older generation.. grandparents, their children with their grandchildren some great grandchildren had move to the cities.. among the 8 houses, only three was occupied. One thing for sure that Jolina and I agreed is that they live such a simple life.. as long as they have food, shelter and clothes.. their happy.. they eat fresh food everyday, because they don't have refrigerators.. so what you catch that day.. is what you eat.. sounds more logical to me.. why do we need to stock things up only to realize sooner or later that the food in the fridge has pass its due date??.. or for the fact that they only have electricity at night with the help of a generator.. the word 'Sunlight' has more meaning to them in the morning when you can see the sun beam through random window glasses on the roof.. very magical.. indeed..

But the best part is the 'ruai' oh yeaaa.. it's an afternoon nap paradise.. that long stretch of rotan carpeted floor is very inviting on a hot breezy sunny day.. ahhh bliss.. snoozing in the afternoon is like the most normal thing to do there.. or in any longhouse i know.. I vow to make a room dedicated to look and feel like a 'ruai' in my future home.. nothing, but big airy windows and rotan carpeted floor.. this is one reason why I love longhouses..

Sad to say, as I was talking to pastor about the significant of the 'ruai' we both agree, its going into the nearly extinct home decor list.. why?? well.. truth be told alot of longhouse and are being demolish and individual house are built instead.. you see the 'ruai' is like the master living room.. its an empty space in the front that connects all the houses.. ok, lets just put it this way no 'ruai' no longhouse get it?? the ' ruai' is were all the socializing takes place (even if it means sleeping in the afternoon,).. theres no walls in between.. now, that individual houses are built this culture, of drinking tea and hanging out with the neighbours is not easily done, Thanks to the idea of FENCING.. its very territorial.. and not the Iban way..

Now, there are over 900 longhouses left in Sarawak.. I pray that no major change would effect them.. one Longhouse has about 40 families living together.. imagine how long the 'ruai' would look like! wow!.. Now, thats something to be proud of..lets see what else.. oh! yeah, how could I not bring this up..being an Iban has always been connected to being A HEAD HUNTER.. *dum dum dum*.. haha.. as much as I am proud of my culture there are also some part of me that wants to change it.. I find it abit funny and also cool at the same time.. its just that after you kill 'the enemy' you take back the 'Head' as a symbol of bravery.. back then we didn't have snipers or bom.. so what else.. but chop heads?? haha.. ok, i'll explain more next time.. rest assured there is no such thing anymore in Sarawak..

ok, so about the Tattoos? I also think its pretty cool to be born in culture where you are allowed to ink your body with cool design.. however, most Iban these days don't do it due to religious belief, part of me understand, this because some design is associated with spirits and stuff.. but.. the thing with tattoo with me.. is that its up to you to believe it. its in the heart for me.. I have never heard of people being control by them..

Like I said, as much as there are parts of me who is proud to be an Iban, I do not deny the fact that there are some parts that I am not proud of.. Im not that ignorant to the fact that part of our culture has some thing to do with 'drinking'.. the 'Tuak' (rice wine) is a famous thing.. for sure.. but too much and drunk old men during the Gawai celebration is something that I don't like.. I promise myself that one day, I'll come back and educate my people about this issue.. and hope that they see.. its not something to be proud of.. In case your wondering why am I daring enough to bring this matter up is because... I love my people too much and i don't want the reason of this particular indulgences ruin our culture..

well, I have nothing more to say, except that.. the younger me use to question why me, why Iban.. but now all have change and I'am Happy where ever God puts me.. and I am proud to be an Iban..

6 comments:

Winnie Nelson said...

yes. i agree. I am Born A Native too. =) adoi.. which longhouse did you go?

Jervynna said...

OMGGGGG....noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! not IBAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *shields self*

guchi guchi said...

love to read your blog tasha. Good thing you don't chop ppl's heads off anymore if not they i won't know you :)

take care :)

Natasha said...

haha..yes winnie! i went to a longhouse abt 45min away from serian, Esembang pleai.. is the name if im not mistaken.. hahah! apala Jer!..haha, Thanks guchi, yup.. its a good thing..

Anonymous said...

hahahah... i wana join in...
though im not a native.. but i am a swakian and i am proud of the longhouses...

too bad i havent got the chance to go to any longhouses..

care to teman me to one tasha???

hahahha

Natasha said...

hahaha.. Ahmad!sure thing.. I Think I have to start a tour kind of thing since many ppl wants to join in too.. ok la I'll start charging! hahah!.. jks, jks..